What is 7-Zip?
7-Zip is a free archiver that helps to compress multiple files into one archive file. As a result, the packed file is much easier to store on a computer, and the process of data transfer becomes simpler.
You can download the free 7-Zip (x64) archiver for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
Key features of 7zip
- Despite its simple interface, it has many positive features;
- It can unpack almost any file;
- The degree of compression is higher than that of competitors;
- The archiver works fast, which saves time;
- It takes up little memory on the computer;
- Supports a large number of compression formats.
- Compresses large files;
- Has its own strong compression format - 7z;
- Can be integrated into the Explorer;
- Supports a vast number of formats: ZIP, TAR, CHM, Z, XAR, WIM, RAR, 7z, CPIO, LZMA, GZIP, MSI, UDF, DEB, LZH, NSIS, HFS;
- 2 types of formats that compress better than in other utilities - GZIP and ZIP;
- There is a text-based interface where you enter commands in the command line;
- There is a GUI version that displays the total memory size. This information helps to calculate whether there is enough space to unpack a particular file;
- For beginners, there are settings that are built into the program;
- The total file size in the archiver is 16 exabytes. It should be noted that this is the 7z format;
- High degree of compression and decompression.
- Does not preserve information about file access rights;
- The open API is difficult to work with even for an experienced developer;
- Cannot add information necessary for recovery to the archive;
- If there is a problem and the archive downloaded incorrectly or incompletely, it will be difficult to extract any information from it.
The 7-Zip archiver will be useful for users who want to unpack or compress certain files. The significant advantage is the high degree of compression. However, the packaging speed may disappoint a little as it is not the fastest.
You can download the latest version of 7-Zip 2023 for free from the official website below.