What is Total Commander?
Total Commander is a well-known program for managing folders and files (file manager) that can be downloaded for free for Windows and Android operating systems. The utility can handle both simple tasks of organizing workspace folders and advanced functions with the ability to connect plugins.
The application addresses issues related to file and folder structuring, creating and unpacking archives, connecting to network drives, splitting large files, calculating checksums, and much more. Total Commander is suitable for both experienced users who find the standard Windows File Explorer inadequate and for those who want to try something new.
By default, a conditionally free version with a mandatory welcome window at startup is provided.
The first version of Total Commander was released in 1993 as a clone of the Norton Commander file manager for DOS and has since gained the following features:
- Dual-pane interface that allows simultaneous management of the contents of two different folders in adjacent areas within one application window;
- Potent FTP client that facilitates easy file exchange with other computers on a connected network;
- Built-in support for archives, enabling the creation and extraction of archives in various formats, including RAR and GZIP;
- Support for plugins that extend the program's functionality;
- Full support for portable mode (no installation required);
- Capability to split and merge "heavy" files;
- Advanced file sorting and filtering functions;
- Highly customizable menus and toolbars to tailor the file manager to your needs.
How to use Total Commander?
After downloading and launching Total Commander, a file manager window with two large panels will open, where you can open different folders on your computer. For example, by opening the "Desktop" folder in the left area and the "D" drive in the right area, you can drag a file from one folder to another.
At the bottom of the screen, you'll find hotkeys for quick file and folder management. The application's toolbar and menu are located at the top. To get acquainted with Total Commander for Windows more easily, start using it as a regular computer file manager with two open windows.
- Familiar interface that has remained unchanged for many years;
- Many features for managing folders and files;
- No need to download separate archivers - they are already integrated into the program;
- You can download plugins and customize the program flexibly to your needs;
- Support for file coloring by type;
- A large user community.
- Outdated appearance of the program, many buttons, requires learning the functions;
- The program is conditionally paid, with a 30-day trial version, after which a reminder window appears at startup;
- No versions for Mac OS, iOS, and Linux.
Total Commander is one of the most popular and convenient file managers, allowing you to easily move, copy, delete, and perform various actions on files and folders on your computer or phone.
You can download the latest version of Total Commander (2023) for Windows or Android from the official website using the link below.